So you want to travel the world? And you are thinking that there is just no way that you can possibly afford to travel internationally? Well, think again! There are many great ways to travel economically, the key is flexibility. Being flexible with the times and places of your travel and your trip itinerary will lend itself to some big savings all around. Also, planning your trip well in advance gives you time to research rates and find out the best times and dates to travel. Staying ahead of the curve can save you a lot of money.
BEST TIPS FOR SAVING ON INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL
- Bed and Breakfast's are less expensive and usually more comfortable than more expensive hotels.
- Hostels are even cheaper than both of the above.
- Other options, look for budget hotel chains, one or two star hotel/motel rooms, and even consider staying in a place with shared bathrooms in the hall, this can save you quite a bit of cash.
- Double up in your lodgings.
- Avoid "hot spots". Anyplace like this will cost you a fortune because everyone wants to go there.
- Shop for food items at groceries and not convenience stores and then pack a picnic lunch, instead of eating out.
- Visit open-air markets. Less touristy, you will find that the prices are much more reasonable. If you can't find these places yourself, just ask one of the locals, they will point you in the right direction.
- Don't spend money on drinks and split meals. This is a great way to save money while still getting to enjoy some of the food of the region.
- Don't overtip. Many places in Europe especially add the gratuity in the bill, so look at this first. You don't want to tip twice when you are pinching pennies.
- Don't drive. Use public transportation which is readily available in most regions of the world. It is usually very inexpensive and a great way to experience the culture and people of the region you are in.
TRAVEL THE WORLD FOR FREE
That's right? There are ways that will allow you to travel for free. Now we realize that this kind of life changing experience is not for everyone, as it requires letting go of the material world, however it can be a very rewarding, stress free experience if you are up for it. The following are some tips on how to go about it.
- Embrace the simple joys of traveling. Take in the sites and sounds and enjoy every minute of it, no matter where you are.
- Keep your needs to a minimum. In order to travel the world for free, you must give up your worldly possessions and realize the essential needs for food, water, exercise and a safe place to sleep.
- Go Slow. Travel is something intended to be savored and appreciated. The slower you travel the less it will cost. You pay for the speed. So consider walking, riding a bike, or sailing to an international destination and you can save big.
- Trust others and you can receive food and lodging. Many people are willing to open their homes to travelers and if you chip in with the chores you can even earn a free meal. There are organizations like CouchSurfing and WWOOF that are put in place for just this purpose, so be sure to check them out.
- Learn a skill. Having a service or something that you can provide others with can help you to barter for things like food and places to stay. Again, if you stay in an area for a week or two then you can easily make a mutually beneficial arrangement with someone.
- Stay in the country. It is much easier to live for free in the countryside than in a big city. So steer clear of city life and you will be better able to find what you need for nothing.
- Find a job that allows you to travel. There are jobs that you can work from the road to help you draw an income, so don't rule out the idea.
- Now maybe traveling the countryside for free is not up your alley, but even if you don't want to go that far, there are many ways that you can afford to go to the destinations of your dreams for much less than you ever thought possible.
This site has been designed to help you take the trip of your dreams while living on a budget.